Zola pledges himself to West Ham

LONDON - Gianfranco Zola promised to give West Ham's players "all of my experience and knowledge" after becoming the east London club's first foreign manager on Thursday.

The former Italy striker, who made his name in English football during a seven-year spell as a forward with the Hammers' London rivals Chelsea, succeeded Alan Curbishley who resigned in protest at the Premier League side's transfer policy.

Zola's coaching experience may have been limited to a recent spell working with Italy's Under-21 side but he said he hoped the knowledge gained from a lengthy playing career would count for something.

"I know I am not the most experienced manager around but I have ideas, I have been in football for 20 years," he told a news conference at Upton Park.

"I know what we're talking about and I will certainly give something to this club; whether it is enough or not we will see. But I have a lot of knowledge of the game and the players will help me with this."

Zola, only the 12th man to manage West Ham United in the club's 108-year-history, also said: I'm delighted to be here. It is a great honour for me to be involved in such an important job.

"I can promise to do my best to make good for this club. The club has got tradition and I am just here to help develop the team and to develop the players. That is my duty and I will do it with all of myself.

"I will give to these players all of my experience and all of my knowledge - I am here to be somebody good for them.

"That is my aim and I will do everything I can to succeed in this."

But he admitted it had been a wrench to stop working with Italy's Under-21 side, where he was assistant to Pierluigi Casiraghi.

"I was doing something I liked very much. It was a very good experience working with young players. At the beginning I was a bit uncertain (about taking the Hammers job).

"I liked what I was doing but this is a great occasion and a great club. I couldn't say no and I am pleased to have accepted it. It's great opportunity and I'm sure I can do a great job for this club."

Zola, one of the most popular overseas signings ever to play top-flight football in England, added: "I will never forget my first seven years with Chelsea. I hope that my next few years will be as successful as the first seven, that's my aim."

Zola may find it difficult to win some West Ham fans around given their dislike of Chelsea and the fact he himself has talked about one day becoming manager at Stamford Bridge.

However, Zola said: "I like to think that this is a very important part of my life and I will be totally focused on West Ham.

"I don't know what I will be doing in the future, who knows? But what's important now is the present and that this club has faith in me."

And he insisted he'd no problems with the management structure at Upton Park despite Curbishley's claims of undue interference in transfers.

"My first duty is to develop the team and I will report to the director (of football). He is not working against me, I am sure that he will help me instead."

Caretaker boss Kevin Keen is set to be in charge for Saturday's match away to West Brom with Zola starting work on Monday.

West Ham have won two of their three Premier League matches so far this season and are fifth in the table.

No comments: